Going to the Dogs



Growing up at my house, we always had a dog. They were an outside dog, and usually belonged to my brothers, but I claimed them as my own. One of my fondest memories is of our dog Little Ann. She was my brother Cole's dog, and my favorite. When she was just a young pup herself (about a year and a half old) she had puppies. I don't remember the exact number, but
I know it was around 9 or 10. We gave them all away, but that summer was magical. I loved watching her take of her puppies, playing with all of them, and wrapping them in a blanket like they were my babies. My Mom never let us bring them in the house, and I hated to leave them at night. I think I was in 5th grade that year. The picture below wasn't my dog, but it is similar. I love Golden. Retrievers, they are such loyal dogs.
Needless to say I think every boy needs a dog. I really wish we could have a dog for Jackson here in Oregon, we have such a big backyard, it would be perfect. But, now isn't the right time for that. We are just too busy, and don't have the time to care for it.

During the month of Febuaruy we had quite a few dog adventures around our house, and my little man was in heaven.
It was a typical day at the Gunther House, I had just got home from work and Lee was off early from school. It was a warm day and I had left the front door open to get some sunshine in. Jack was playing by the door when suddenly there were 3 dogs in our yard. They obviously new each other, two smaller grown dogs and a puppy. Jack and Lee immediately ran outside and started playing with them. It was so cute to watch Jackson play with the dogs. He couldn't stop smiling, and was chasing them everywhere.
The three dogs kept running in the road, so we decided to put them in the backyard while Lee walked around searching for an owner. Just when Jack and I thought we had it under control, one of the dogs slipped through a slab in our fence and jumped into another neighbors yard. Before we knew it, another of the dogs jumped after his friend.
Jack yelled "Come back Bodger, Come back boy!"
It was the cutest thing ever. He sounded just like the boy from... A Long Journey Home, the original Homeward Bound movie.
This was the best shot I got of all three of them, they were all so crazy. Eventually Lee went on his bike found the two escaped dogs, and their owner-just up the street. It was fun while it lasted.
We didn't need to wait to long to have a dog around again. The next weekend our good friends and neighbors the Parker's went out of town and asked us to Dog sit. We said yes, and loved having Tarbee around. For now we will just dream of the day when we have our own dog. Preferably a lab, or Golden Retriever, they really make the best dogs.

Popular Posts